Friday, March 09, 2007

Scrapbook Magazines

I have been scrapbooking for about six years give or take and when the first British magazine came out i was so excited. We have had

12 x 12 scrapbook magazine
Scrapbook Magic
Creative Scrapbooking
The Scrapbook Magazine (now without the The)
Scrapbook Inspirations

Now we only have the bottom two left.

We have lots of amazing talent in this country and its being ignored.
These magazines now seem to be catering for the beginner which is all very well as we all have to start somewhere. But what about the rest of us?
I want a magazine that makes me wow on most if not all the pages. I want to be inspired . I also want to be taught. This can't be too much to ask for. Yes we can see things online but its just not the same thing as having it in your hands at home. Sometimes you want to curl up with a magazine and have all that talent soak in.
The thing with a magazine is that you can pick it up every now and then when you have a few minutes or even when you have longer.
My favourite magazine was an American one called Scrapbook Answers as it was full wonderful articles and always had wonderful how to's. This has always been missing from the UK ones.

As it looks like we are never going to have the magazines that will cater for the experienced scrapbooker maybe we need to do something about it. The question is what.
Maybe we just have to suffer. Unless someone comes up with something.
Here's hoping we get what we want and not just second rate rubbish. Sorry I mean having it all done for beginners.
I'm not the best scrapbooker but I have been doing it a long time and I like some respect from the magazine publishers.

2 comments:

barmyowlscoo said...

I have been scrapping for about two years now and I am frustrated buy the lack of mags and I find the ones that say paper craft don't have much inspiration in either You are right to rant

jakey said...

We also had Scrapbook Craft Beth, remember that one? Some of us who went on to work for SBM and CS also worked on there.It was the first regular UK scrapping mag, and I even remember another one which gave away free papers and a red eye pen! Only came out once tho.. then there was SBM&M... that bit the dust early on too.

Great shame as the contributors and editorial staff always work really hard trying to get a good publication going, but are often totally let down by the publishers who don't seem to give a title a chance before pulling the plug.

I rarely buy magazines anymore, but would if there was more choice I think.

jk x