Wednesday, September 20, 2006

UKS blog prompt

If you were to build a patchwork quilt to represent your life -- one in which each square would represent a milestone or a quality that, when taken as a whole quilt, would capture the essence of who you are for your family and friends when you are gone -- what would it look like, what would you include? Describe a few of the patchwork pieces.

Well my quilt would be at least king size and I'm not yet 30. There are so many things that have happened in my life that make up the person i am.
OK then here are a couple of pieces

1) This piece is about my sister Abi. She was my best friend and worst enemy rolled into one. We fought like cat and dog but we had some great times too. Abi died in 1990 26 days after her 16th birthday. It was a brain tumour that killed her and she was ill for about six months.
Her death was really tough on the whole family and you never get over it. It didn't really hit me until i was 16 and got older than she ever did. It felt wrong to be doing the things that i was doing and alot of the time i felt that it should have been her not me. I miss her so much at times that it hurts. I have learned to live without her and i don't carry the same feelings any more.
This piece would have a shine to it and be black and purple in the style of Madonna in the 80's.

2)Another sad piece. In 1996 i found out that i was pregnant by my then boyfriend Richard who i was living with at the time. I was in two minds as what to do about it. We talked alot and in the end the decision was made to go ahead. We started to tell people our news and we had different reactions mostly good. Then one day i started to bleed so i went to the hospital and within 12 hours i was told that i had suffered a miscarriage. I then had to have a D & C which is the worst thing in the world.
I took this really badly and got very depressed. I was angry that choice i had made had been taken away from me. Why hadn't it happened before i made the choice. Why did i have to chose.
Time is a great healer and things are clearer now, well it hurts less and less all the time but the feelings are still there.
One thing i did do was name the baby, I called it Toni. I don't know if it was a boy or girl.
This piece would be pale yellow with rocking horses on it.

3) This is my son Dominic James. He is my surprise baby and i love him so much. I had a very short pregnancy, well i should say that i knew about. I found out that i was pregnant 4 weeks before he was born.
I had joined weight watchers and was doing well. I had lost 2 stone and was trying to lose more. My periods did stop but i put that down to the fact that i had started to use the contraceptive injection.
One day my mum said that it looked as if i was getting a little plump round the tummy and could i be pregnant. I told her about the injection and the losing weight so we both agreed that it was highly unlikely. Anyway we talked and thought it would be a good idea for me to go and see the Dr in case it could be something else and best to be on the safe side and check. So i made an appointment to see the Dr and got to see one the same day. When i got to see him i asked for a pregnancy test and he started to fill out the form and then ask me to lie on the bed so that he could feel my tummy. He felt it and said well your definitely pregnant so we don't this *ripping up the form*. He said that i was anything between 30 - 38 weeks. Luckily the midwife was in clinic so he managed to grab her and get her to see me straight away. She was really nice and she examined me as well and said 34-38 weeks and listened to the heart beat. I was booked in for a scan the next day. That was brill seeing him for the first time. I had to have consultant appointments every week to see what was happening. Only a couple of weeks after my scan i had to go back for another one. This one reckoned that i was 42 weeks so two weeks overdue. But the girl did say that you can't really date after 28 weeks. My consultant appointment was the next day. I was examined and told that my blood pressure was very high and what with the dates i had to into hospital that day to be induced. That was Wednesday and Dom was born on the Friday after a 6 & 1/2 hours in labour (birth story another time). At 14 hours old he was taken into the baby unit as he was being sick. He was in there for a couple of days and i was told he could be discharged. So one week after i was admitted i went home with my little boy.
This piece would bright lime green with a cartoon Dino on it as this is the first real outfit he ever wore.

That's just part of my quilt. It's not all doom and gloom honest.

4 comments:

Jan said...

No there'll be a square with Viennese Truffles and Starbuck's on it!!

Shirley said...

I love your quilt!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful quilt, what a super blog. Glad I visited ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

WOW Beth, what fascinating reading hun. Love the idea of explaining what sort of quilt pieces they would be ... it's given me a lot of food for thought. Good luck with the other "pieces". :)
Boo xxx